Tuesday, January 5, 2010

So I've been in the Word more recently, and more intentional about how I read, taking my time, mulling things over. It's been great. So fun how God gives you little insights.

I thought I would jot down some of those, more than anything so that I can remember them. I started in Genesis and am planning on reading through in the historical order (historically happened, not written). That will get a little tricky when I get to Paul's books, but I think historical importance isn't quite as big a deal there.

Genesis 1:2 (NAS) "And the earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep; and the Spirit of God was moving..."

I just love how even at the beginning God is constantly moving and turning nothing into something. How many times have I felt like or been in a situation that felt formless, void and full of darkness. But the Spirit of God was moving!!! How well I would do to remember that more often!

Genesis 1: 29-30 "...I have given you every plant yielding seed....it shall be food for you...I have given every green plant for food."

Interesting he never mentions the animals as being provided for food. One could assume that in the beginning we were vegetarians.

Genesis 9:3- "Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you, as I gave the green plant."

This is after the flood, just an interesting follow up to the prior verse. He also proceeds in the following verse to establish His covenant to not flood the earth again, but every time he addresses humans and follows it up by also directing His covenant to the beasts. Just reminder and conviction for me that they are God's creation as well and He cared enough about them to save them along with us during the flood, and to establish His covenant not just with us, but with them, so I would do well to do everything in my power to respect His creatures. For me this makes me want to prioritize buying grass fed beef, free range chicken and eggs, and be more "green".

Genesis 9:20-23- "Then Noah began farming and planted a vineyard. And he drank of the wine and became drunk, and uncovered himself inside his tent. And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father and told his two brothers outside. But Shem and Japheth took a garment and laid it upon both their shoulders and walked backward and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were turned away so that they did not see their father's nakedness."

It struck me how often we repeat Ham's actions with our words. How often do we repeat some one's wrong doing or slip up to others instead of going to that person and trying to help "cover" their folly. I know I am guilty of that. The passage goes on to deal out a punishment onto Ham's son Canaan which reminds me how strong generational sin and it's pull is and how difficult it is to break free from. I think it's something we must consistently be checking ourselves for remnants of.

Those are my bits for now. I'm looking forward to getting more this afternoon!

No comments: