Monday, January 11, 2010

Back to my Genesis findings:

One of the things I was impacted by was the fact that God reminded Abraham of his promise at least 4 times through out his life. This came as a great comfort to me right now as I am feeling lost in my "calling". I'm trusting that God will be faithful to remind my of what He has called me to do.

I was also impressed by the pull and strength of generational sin (Genesis 26). I've heard lots of people talk about Abraham's discretion in twice portraying Sarai as his sister and not his wife, but seldom do you hear it talked about that Isaac did the exact same thing. I think this is a reminder of how strong our impression is on the generation we lead. Isaac wasn't even alive when his father committed these sins and yet he must have seen something in his father that lent him to repeating his mistakes. Makes me a bit fearful of my current actions. Thank the Lord for grace. For me and my children!

Finally I really enjoy reading about Jacob's love for Rachel (Genesis 29). I love finding romance in unexpected places. Like Genesis 8. Not only did he show off when he first met her by rolling a large stone out of the way and watering her flock (serving her!) but then he kissed her (scandal!) and "lifted his voice and wept". He also then went on to work (HARD) for her hand in marriage for 14 years. What girl wouldn't be flattered by that?

Those are my thoughts. Hopefully I get to do a real post soon!

No comments: