Thursday, December 31, 2009

Quick breakdown of Christmas:

It was good.

I really am tempted to have a year where we isolate ourselves and do no presents and fast and pray all day long. Maybe not that extreme... but I don't like how no matter what you do, with kids, it's all about the presents.

I got called materialistic by an unnamed family member (though my guessing friends could surely guess). That was entertaining. Especially ironic coming from unnamed family member.

Chris and I have worked (and fought) really hard to build healthy relationships, especially within our immediate (us and the boys) family. Long exposure to non-healthy relationships throws us off of our game. We just seem to feel off until the exposure is over.

Onto the New Year!

I'm really thankful to be doing something for New Years this year. I think it's been 4 years since we did anything. Last year we weren't good enough friends with anyone yet, and the years before we were in Connectisuck. I feel blessed to have friends to hang out with and thankful that we get to bring our kiddos and celebrate with them as well!

I'm not a big resolution person. Never got what the big deal was. If I want to do something, I do it and don't wait for New Years, and I don't like making empty promises about things I know won't happen.

That being said, I am looking forward to my lighter schedule this winter. I hope to get some painting done around the house and I hope to have more studying time in the Word. I was recently asked to join a group that was reading through the bible in 90 days. I was tempted (because really, how can that not be good?) but I have been made aware of my faults when it comes to how I get plugged into the Bible. I'm a reader, I really could sit down and read the bible for an hour and love it. I could then look up all the things that intrigued me about the scripture, find their original greek or hebrew meanings, do some cross referencing, check out what the commentaries say... I love that stuff. However my weakness is slowing down, really processing one teeny tiny passage and praying and communicating with God on it. I often fall short on the prayer part and I really want to work on that this year. Here is a great post about being intentional with your devotional life this year.

I'm also super excited about this ministry within the youth I've been helping start up : The Compassion Leadership Team (CLT), We had our first outreach opportunity mid December and I was so blessed by getting to be a part of it. I felt even more proud as I saw the girls from my group (which had the highest attendance rate of all of our youth small groups, pretty impressive considering there are almost 40 small groups in our youth) not just show up to serve, but work hard, enjoy it and start asking more questions about serving and missions. Two of my girls are already talking about long term mission trips. Oh the joy I have!

Focusing on that, and of course my family, is where I want to be the most present this year. I have about 8 months before Josh starts school and I am excruciatingly aware of how precious the time I have with him is and how intentional I need to be with it. Jack is also at my favorite stage of early childhood and I want to steal all the kisses and hugs and giggles while I can. My husband does an amazing job of taking care of and providing for his family but I feel as though that weight has been heavier than it should be recently. While it may be something he's put on himself, I want to do whatever I can to help ease as much of as I can, and be more diligent about praying for him and encouraging him.

I have a few other plans for 2010, but we'll see how those pan out. I've learned to hold my plans pretty loosely.

I feel blessed to be on the forefront of another year. By His grace alone. Hope ya'll have a great New Years!

No comments: