Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I needed to hear this:





All too often I forget than ministry is messy, and that while perfection is what we strive for, it something we will never obtain on earth. I need to be more patient with the imperfect.

I've also been enjoying being back into some theology books recently. One of my top loves. I've been reading C.S. Lewis' The Weight of Glory, and Tim Keller's The Reason For God. SO much good stuff.

Here is a quote from C.S. Lewis book that I loved, and I think hits a lot of the religious right.

(This is during WW II)
"A man may have to die for our country, but no man must in any exclusive sense, live for his country. He who surrenders himself without reservation to the temporal claims of a nation, or a party, or a class is rendering to Caesar that which, of all things, most emphatically belongs to God: himself."

And another great one:
"If all the world were Christian, it might not matter if all the world were uneducated. But, as it is, a cultural life will exist inside or not. To be ignorant and simple now- not to be able to meet the enemies on their own ground- would be to throw down our weapons, and to betray our uneducated brethren, who have, under God, no defense but us against the intellectual attacks of the heathen. Good philosophy must exist, if for no other reason, because bad philosophy needs to be answered."

No comments: