Saturday, September 5, 2009

I find it funny all of the presumptions and the "I nevers..." that I made before children. I laugh at my naivete now.


My first misconception was about life after children. Everyone would always tell us how life after children would never be the same. I would get so irritated (have I mentioned recently, I have pride issues?) and think that people didn't know us, and that we would be different. Why I thought I knew more than the 50 or so people that I encountered that told me this, I'm not sure. Oh, that's right, that little pride issue I mentioned. And having children does change your life, inexplicably.

Then I remember seeing parents with young kiddos in the stores. They would either be throwing fits, or running around, and I swore that I would never let my kids act like that. Anyone that has encountered Josh for more than 5 minutes is laughing right now.

These are just a few of my preconceived notions about parenting that I was way off on.


And yet the awareness of my lack of awareness has not helped me make any less promises to my self about my parental future.

I barely have my feet wet with this whole school and sports thing, and I already have a list full of intentions in this arena.

However, some ideas and expectations for my children and their future are good. Like them being expected to go to youth group, and Sunday church when they are older. Not making sports a priority over church and God. Having dinner together as often as humanly possible. Having family nights once a week.

So where are the lines between expecting the unrealistic, and having expectations worth striving and sacrificing for?

I'm still not quite sure, but I know it does include humility.

No comments: