Tuesday, May 26, 2009

So I'm hoping my summer break brings a slightly slower pace. We've been running around like crazy now for a couple of months. However my last ministry obligation that requires preparation will officially end as of tomorrow night. Weird. To have two months off. And then, even when it all starts up again, Josh will be in school. SCHOOL. Mind you it is technically preschool, but it's 4 days a week, it might as well be school. I'm still processing through the fact that he is four. School will be a whole other step I don't have to deal with until September.

Lots of thoughts about parenthood recently. It seems so ironic to me that I want so badly not to screw it all up, but at the same time have the knowledge that somehow, some where I'm going to. Maybe the sheer desire to want to give it my all and do my best will help me not to mess up, or at least not as badly as I would if I weren't intentional about it.

There's a line in the movie The Emperor's New Groove (side note: one of the best movies ever, for kids and for adults. so funny.) where the villain is talking about this person that just fired her and she is extremely upset with, she says "who does he think he is, I practically raised him!" and then her sidekick replies "yeah, you think he would have turned out better." It cracks me up how parents talk about their kids behavior in astonishment, like they have no idea how the behavior developed. Mind you their are a few cases that really are out of nowhere, but more often than not, the children learn from the parents.

Josh is stubborn, and loves being around people. If you know me, neither one of these is a big surprise that my child when have these charachteristics.

I really hope that when (I really think it's more a when and not "if") my kids start behaving in ways that I think are not good, that I can step back and instead of just getting upset with them for their behavior or actions or labeling them as a "difficult child", ask myself what I did, or am doing to create the situation where they feel the need to behave like that.

I want to be a reasonable, understanding, clear thinking, Godly minded parent. Lord willing. Hopefully the sheer understanding of knowing what it is like to not have that will help me have a propensity towards this.

Everything that is good in me came from God, and everything that's wrong is because of our parents. Lord help me!

No comments: