Friday, March 27, 2009

It is a dreary rainy day here. In fact, it's the third one in a row. And to make it even more delightful, I have some sinus issues to accompany the rain.

It's also been a hectic week, and this is my first day to relax a little. I've been taking full advantage of it. So much so, that I completely spaced that I had committed to bring dessert to our small group meeting tonight. Completely space until about 3:30, when I only have about an hour and a half to come up with something and have it ready to go. If you know much about desserts, you know that's not a lot of time.

I go to my default site, Martha, epicurious, and can't seem to get past orange cardamom cookies and lemon curd tartlets. As delightful as those sound, I need something quick, casual, and comforting, because weather and time demand it.

Chocolate chip cookies were an option, but a little too casual, and too much hands on time, taking batches in and out of the oven. I also thought about brownies, but being out of cocoa powder, couldn't do a full batch of the good stuff. So imagine my delight, when I stumbled across these. I don't think I have ever made brownies from a mix, just because I am anti-hydrogenated oil girl, I don't buy them, and I don't mind making things from scratch. Thankfully I found a super brownie recipe for the amount I needed, that did not require cocoa powder, and looked reliable. That plus the cookie dough I had leftover from the pizza party I had with my small group girls in the freezer, and we were in action.

In fact, they are in the over as we speak, and I still have time to go throw on some make-up.

Oh happy day. Except for the rain.

No comments: