Friday, July 24, 2009

I found this in some research I was doing:

People sometimes ask why, if Satan is real, we don't see more demon possession and exorcisms in America. I have an idea. Satan holds American Christianity so tightly in the vice-grip of comfort and wealth that he's not about to tip his hand with too much demonic tomfoolery. What Satan fears most in this church is an outpouring of the Holy Spirit that causes us to say with Paul, "I count everything as refuse that I might gain Christ . . . that I might know the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of his sufferings, becoming like him in his death."

John Piper (emphasis mine)

I love JP. He's awesome, and puts it all in perspective. I've been feeling discouraged of recently (as I'm sure you might be able to tell by my previous post) finding really good friends. Not just people to hang out with, or acquaintances, but someone who can be a source of encouragement and challenge me to become a better person and to press deeper into Christ. I realize it might make me sound a little crazy, but I don't want someone to just hang out with. I want more, I want a soul connection.

And it frustrates me that this seems to be something that is so difficult to find. Is it me? Is it them? Do they just not want that kind of relationship with someone? There are a bijillion questions of confusion that run through my mind. For now though, I know what to pray for. An outpouring of the Holy Spirit. Not just for my sake (because I think an indwelling of the HS makes one desire relationships like that) but Christ's sake.

No comments: